Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets, we anticipate that this will take between 3-10 hours work at £201.00 per hour. Total costs estimated at £600-£2,000 plus VAT. The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end. We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than two bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 2-3 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise then this is likely to lead to an increase in costs.
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC.
- There are no claims made against the estate
- Disbursements included in this fee are probate application fee, £275.00.
- Swearing of the Oath for Executors, Bankruptcy only Land Charges Search, £2.00 per beneficiary. £100.00 notice in the London Gazette, this protects against unexpected claim from unknown creditors.
- £100.00 post in local newspaper, this also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Potential additional costs
If there is no Will or the estate consists of any shareholdings (stocks and bonds), there is likely to be additional costs which could rise significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
Dealing with sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take
On average estates which fall within this range are dealt within 3-6 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 3-4 weeks. Collecting assets can take another 4-6 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets which normally take 4-6 weeks.
As part of our fee:
- We will provide you with a dedicated and experienced Probate Solicitor to work on your matter.
- We will identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries.
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require.
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application.
- Complete the probate application and the relevant HMRC forms.
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear.
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf.
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you.
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate.